29 December, 2008

Blood sugar testing - What every diabetic should know

Blood sugar testing - What every diabetic should know - How to learn the correct way to test your blood sugar levels at home

Merry Christmas and wish you all a very Happy Healthy New Year!!!

During the holiday season especially during festivals diabetic people wonder what their blood sugar levels are and what they can do to keep it in control.

Lots of people have doubts about their blood sugar levels.

Some of the questions that people have asked me are:

· What should my blood sugar level be most of the time?

· How often should I test my blood sugar levels?

· What is the HbA1C blood sugar test and how often should I test that?

· Is there any particular time of the day that I should test my blood sugar levels?

· Is there anything else that I should know about blood sugar testing?

My answer to them is, “Learn to measure your blood sugar levels correctly”

How do you do that?

First buy a glucometer. You can pick one up from anywhere but you can go here to get one that I recommend.

Secondly, after you have a glucometer. You need to learn how to use it correctly. It is a machine and if used wrongly, it will give wrong results. In my experience what you should do is read the booklet that came with the machine. Next take the glucometer along with you for your next appointment and ask your doctor to show you how to use it. After that you show the doctor how you check you blood sugar levels and ask if you are doing it correctly. If you are making any mistakes your doctor can correct you.

No comments: