31 October, 2016

Science AMA Series: I'm Professor Chris French, Director of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, University of London. I’m back on Halloween to talk about my research on the psychology of paranormal beliefs and experiences. AMA!


See the source article by following the link below:

I am the Head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, University of London. Anomalistic psychology is the study of extraordinary phenomena or behaviour and experience, including those that are often labelled 'paranormal'.

From a young age I was fascinated by claims of the paranormal and was myself a firm believer up until early adulthood. However, the more I learned about psychology the more I appreciated our potential for fooling ourselves. Although our cognitive systems are truly amazing, they are also subject to various cognitive biases that can lead us to misperceive, misremember and misinterpret situations in such a way that we might think we have experienced something paranormal.

Since 2000 I have undertaken research on phenomena such as ESP (Extrasensory perception), sleep paralysis, false memories, paranormal beliefs, alien contact claims, and belief in conspiracies. I am one of the leading paranormal sceptics in the UK and regularly appear on television and radio, as well contributing to articles and podcasts for the Guardian.

I will be here to answer questions at 9:30am EST, 1:30pm GMT. Ask me anything!

EDIT: In the meantime, if you'd like to find out more about the phenomenon of sleep paralysis, you can listen to a short podcast we put together on the subject.

">Science AMA Series: I'm Professor Chris French, Director of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, University of London. I’m back on Halloween to talk about my research on the psychology of paranormal beliefs and experiences. AMA!

No comments: