Hi reddit! We’re reporters for the news team at Nature, the international weekly journal of science. Researchers around the world are using the gene-editing tool CRISPR-Cas9 to tinker with the genomes of humans, viruses, bacteria, animals and plants. Together we’ve written extensively about CRISPR genome editing. Ask us anything!
I’m Heidi Ledford, a senior reporter in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I write about various biomedical topics — cancer research, drug development, biotechnology — and, of course, CRISPR. A lot of CRISPR. CRISPR editing, CRISPR epigenetics, CRISPR gene drives, CRISPR patents, CRISPR babies (hypothetical only!), CRISPR therapies (also still hypothetical), and DIY CRISPR (that one's real already). Once upon a time, I earned a PhD in plant biology at the University of California in Berkeley. But don't come to me for gardening advice — I used molecular biology to study photosynthesis in algae.
I'm Sara Reardon, a reporter based in Washington DC. I write about US science policy and biomedical research, especially neuroscience and microbiology. I'm a recovering scientist (clean for five years!) and studied neurodevelopment for my master’s degree in molecular biology — much harder pre-CRISPR. It's an exciting time to be writing about genome editing, especially as it brings to life wild ideas like pigs with human-like organs for transplantation and "de-extincted" woolly mammoths made by CRISPRing extra-hairy elephants.
No comments:
Post a Comment