Hi Reddit!
I’m Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an Infectious Disease physician at the University Health Network in Toronto. My focus on Tropical Infectious Diseases has led me to track the spread of Zika around the world. Now, I treat patients in Toronto with suspected and confirmed Zika virus and continue to map its international spread.
This past January in a Correspondence printed in The Lancethttp://ift.tt/1ng323p, my colleague from St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, Dr. Kamran Khan, Infectious Disease physician, and I mapped out the spread of the Zika virus, originally found in Africa and Asia-Pacific, across South and Central America, and the Caribbean. Very soon after that article was released several Public Health Agencies advised pregnant women against travelling to Zika-virus affected regions. This was the first time agencies such as the US-CDC advised pregnant women not to travel to a specific region during an outbreak.
Zika virus continues to take on the world, and piece by piece, we are working to predict where it will go next and work clinically to treat and prevent its transmission. I’m happy to answer your questions about Zika treatment, prevention, mapping, research, and risks in affected countries such as Brazil, where the Olympics are in full swing as we speak. If you have specific medical questions, note that I’m not able to provide medical advice online but can point you in the direction of valuable online resources.
I’ll be back here at 1PM ET– live and answering your questions. Ask me anything! AMA!
To learn more about my research at the Toronto General Research Institute, please click herehttp://ift.tt/2b2Rhfe, and to learn more about my work clinically at UHN, please click here<http://ift.tt/2bdZtG2;. My full profile on the UHN website can be found herehttp://ift.tt/2b2QtXE. You can read more recent research I’ve worked on about the Zika Virus herehttp://ift.tt/2bdZ1Yg.
No comments:
Post a Comment