31 January, 2017

American Chemical Society AMA: I am Allison Campbell, President of the American Chemical Society. Ask me anything about the importance of sharing science and my priorities for ACS!


See the source article by following the link below:

Hi Reddit! I’m Allison Campbell, President of the American Chemical Society. Currently I am the Associate Laboratory Director of the Earth and Biological Sciences Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). A physical chemist by academic training, my research has focused on biomaterials.

My research focus is on the role of proteins in biomineralization. During my time in the Materials Science Department at PNNL, I have co-invented a process inspired by biology that allows us to grow bioactive calcium phosphate layers onto the surfaces of artificial joint implants. By mimicking bone, this innovation can extend the life of the implant and reduce implant rejection. I hold a PhD in physical chemistry from the State University of New York at Buffalo, and a BA from Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, PA. I have been a member of the ACS since 1985 and in that time have become a member of the National Academy of Sciences Chemical Sciences Roundtable and was named an AAAS Fellow in 2013.

One aspect of science I’m most passionate about is promoting science education and sharing scientific information. As often as I can, I share my personal enthusiasm for science with young students and participate in a number of hands-on education programs. As ACS President I feel it’s so important that all us chemists out there should share with the public what chemistry is and how it helps society. This means we need to get as good at science communication as we can. I also feel it is greatly important to foster common principles and practices among the global chemistry community. You can read about these and my priorities as ACS President in my Chemical & Engineering News statement “Pedaling the power of chemistry.”

Ask me anything about my ACS priorities of sharing the value of chemistry and building its global principles and practices. You can also ask about my research in biomineralization.

Note that as a scientist employed by a federal laboratory, I am bound by the Hatch Act and therefore may not engage in questions of a political nature.

I will be back at 11am EST (8am PST, 4pm UTC) to start answering questions.

">American Chemical Society AMA: I am Allison Campbell, President of the American Chemical Society. Ask me anything about the importance of sharing science and my priorities for ACS!

No comments: