30 May, 2017

Science AMA Series: I'm Joss Bland-Hawthorn, ARC Laureate Fellow Professor of Physics and Director of the Sydney Institute for Astronomy, Sydney, Australia. I specialize in extragalactic and galactic astronomy, and in developing astronomical instrumentation. AMA!


See the source article by following the link below:

Research is an exhilarating journey of discovery; you learn something new and exciting each week of the year. My team at the Sydney Institute for Astronomy is working on the next generation of astronomical and space instruments. On April 19, one of these CubSats launched from Cape Canaveral to the International Space Station. Our CubeSat is one of the first Australian satellites to be sent into orbit in 15 years. A proud time for our team!

I am an ARC Laureate Fellow Professor of Physics and Director of the Sydney Institute for Astronomy (SIFA). I was born in England before moving overseas in 1985. After receiving my PhD from the Royal Greenwich Observatory and the University of Sussex, I took a 3-year postdoc in astrophysics at the Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawaii. In 1988-1993, I was a tenured professor at the Space Physics & Astronomy Department, Rice University, Texas. In 1993, I joined the Australian Astronomical Observatory, Sydney. In 2000, I was appointed Head of Instrument Science, a new division that was created to reflect the increasing need for complex novel solutions to astronomical instrumentation. Since 2007, I have been a professor at the University of Sydney. I am a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science and The Optical Society (OSA).

I will be back at 7 pm ET (9 am Sydney Time) to answer your questions, ask me anything!

">Science AMA Series: I'm Joss Bland-Hawthorn, ARC Laureate Fellow Professor of Physics and Director of the Sydney Institute for Astronomy, Sydney, Australia. I specialize in extragalactic and galactic astronomy, and in developing astronomical instrumentation. AMA!

No comments: