
Hi Reddit! My name is George Cobb. I am a Professor at Baylor University, where I serve as Chair of the Department of Environmental Science. Throughout my 28 year career, my research group has developed novel sampling and analysis techniques to evaluate toxic chemical transport, transformation, and biological exposure processes. The tools that we employ most often are GC-MS, LC-MS, and Atomic Fluorescence. We have applied these analytical techniques to the cost effective assessment of chemical profiles and associated risks at hazardous waste sites, in industrial settings, within agricultural monocultures, and near concentrated animal feeding operations. This research paved the way for service on many EPA FIFRA Science Advisory Panels and one Science Advisory Board consultation. My most recent research activities have been in the realm of nanomaterial uptake and effect, anabolic steroid aerosols from animal feeding operations explosives, and adverse effects of explosives.
I have helped establish well know graduate programs at three Universities across the USA. My engagement in professional societies includes chairing the Division of Environmental Chemistry and serving on the Committee for Environmental Improvement within the American Chemical Society, as well as being President of SETAC North America in 2011 and continuing to serve as a Steering Committee member of the SETAC Global Chemistry Advisory Group. In these roles I work with scientists throughout the world to develop a better understanding of the environmental challenges that we face.
My BS in Chemistry is from the College of Charleston (1982), where I conducted an environmental research project, evaluating the uptake of organochlorine pesticides and metals into sea turtles on the South Carolina coast. Thereafter, I received a Ph.D. in Chemistry from The University of South Florida (1989), where we developed sampling strategies to determine vapor/particle distribution of atmospheric organic chemicals.
Ask me anything about Environmental Chemistry or Exposure Assessment.
I will be back to start answering questions at 11am CDT (12pm EDT, 9am PDT, 4pm UTC)
No comments:
Post a Comment