27 June, 2017

ACS AMA: Hi Reddit! My name is Nathan Gianneschi, a nanomaterials researcher. Ask me anything about biomedical applications of nanomaterials!


See the source article by following the link below:

ACS AMA

Hi Reddit! My name is Nathan Gianneschi and I research nanomaterials at the University of California, San Diego, but I am moving my laboratory to Northwestern University; coming soon, at the beginning of July this year.

Recently work in my lab was published in ACS Central Science, an open access journal, entitled “Mimicking Melanosomes: Polydopamine Nanoparticles as Artificial Microparasols” http://ift.tt/2rOxcg7. This work describes a nanomaterial that could be used to protect cells from UV damage. I look forward to answering your questions about this research today!

More broadly, our research group takes an interdisciplinary approach to nanomaterials research with a focus on multifunctional materials with interests that include biomedical applications, programmed interactions with biomolecules and cells, and basic research into nanoscale materials design, synthesis and characterization. For this work I have been awarded the NIH Director's New Innovator Award, the NIH Director's Transformative Research Award and with a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.

My academic background started with my B.Sc. (Hons) at the University of Adelaide, Australia in 1999. In 2005 I completed my Ph.D at Northwestern University. Following a Dow Chemical postdoctoral fellowship at The Scripps Research Institute, in 2008 I began my independent career at the University of California, San Diego where I am currently Teddy Traylor Scholar and Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry, NanoEngineering and Materials Science & Engineering. In addition to my NIH citation, I was awarded a Dreyfus Foundation Fellowship, I am a Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, and am an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow.

Ask me anything about using nanomaterials for biomedical applications, including this work on melanosome mimics.

I will be back at 11am EDT (10am CDT, 8am PDT, 3pm UTC) to answer your questions.

">ACS AMA: Hi Reddit! My name is Nathan Gianneschi, a nanomaterials researcher. Ask me anything about biomedical applications of nanomaterials!

No comments: