27 July, 2017

Science AMA Series: We are two medical professionals and the transgender patient advocate from Fenway Health in Boston. We are passionate about the importance of gender-affirming care to promote overall health in this population. Ask us anything about hormone therapy, surgery, and primary care!


See the source article by following the link below:

Hi reddit! We are Dr. Julie Thompson, Dr. Alexis Drutchas, and trans patient advocate, Cei Lambert, and we work at Fenway Health in Boston. Fenway is a large community health center dedicated to the care of the LGBT community and the clinic's surrounding neighborhoods. The three of us have special interest in transgender health and gender-affirming care.

I’m Julie Thompson, a physician assistant in primary care at Fenway Health since 2010. Though my work at Fenway includes all aspects of primary care, I have a special interest in caring for individuals with diverse gender identities and HIV/AIDS medicine and management. In 2016 I was named the Co-Medical Director of the Transgender Health Program at Fenway, and I share this role with Dr Tim Cavanaugh, to help guide Fenway’s multidisciplinary team approach to provide high-quality, informed, and affirming care for our expanding population of individuals with various gender identities and expressions. I am also core faculty on TransECHO, hosted by the National LGBT Education Center, and I participate on Transline, both of which are consultation services for medical providers across the country. I am extremely passionate about my work with transgender and gender non-binary individuals and the importance of an integrated approach to transgender care. The goal is that imbedding trans health into primary care will expand access to gender-affirming care and promote a more holistic approach to this population.

Hello! My name is Cei and I am the Transgender Health Program Patient Advocate at Fenway Health. To picture what I do, imagine combining a medical case manager, a medical researcher, a social worker, a project manager, and a teacher. Now imagine that while I do all of the above, I am watching live-streaming osprey nests via Audubon’s live camera and that I look a bit like a Hobbit. That’s me! My formal education is in fine art, but I cut my teeth doing gender advocacy well over 12 years ago. Since then I have worked in a variety of capacities doing advocacy, outreach, training, and strategic planning for recreation centers, social services, the NCAA, and most recently in the medical field. I’ve alternated being paid to do art and advocacy and doing the other on the side, and find that the work is the same regardless.
When I’m not doing the above, I enjoy audiobooks, making art, practicing Tae Kwon Do, running, cycling, hiking, and eating those candy covered chocolate pieces from Trader Joes.

We'll be back around noon EST to answer your questions, AUA!

">Science AMA Series: We are two medical professionals and the transgender patient advocate from Fenway Health in Boston. We are passionate about the importance of gender-affirming care to promote overall health in this population. Ask us anything about hormone therapy, surgery, and primary care!

No comments: