30 April, 2018

I'm Joanna Bryson, a Professor in Artificial (and Natural) Intelligence at the University of Bath. I’d love to talk about AI regulation and law, how we treat AI and the companies and people who make it, why humans need to keep being the responsible agents, and anything else - AMA!


See the source article by following the link below:

I really do build AI, mostly myself to study natural intelligence (especially human cooperation), but with my PhD students I also work on making anthropomorphic AI like in computer game characters or domestic robots transparent (understandable) to its users, because that makes it safer and more ethical. I used to work as a professional programmer myself in the 1980s and 1990s, including for LEGO! But since getting three graduate degrees (in AI & Psychology from Edinburgh and MIT, the last in 2001) I've been a full time academic. Last year I did an AMA on AI and AI ethics that you guys really liked, so my University suggested we do it again, this time talking about the work I've been doing since 2010 in AI policy -- helping governments, non-government organisations like the Red Cross or the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development), tech companies and society at large figure out how we can fit AI into our society, including our homes, work, democracy, war, and economy. So we can talk some more about AI again, but also this time let's talk mostly about regulation and law, how we treat AI and the companies and people who make it, why humans need to keep being the responsible agents, and anything else you want to discuss. Just like last year, I look forwards not only to teaching (which I love) but learning from you, including about your concerns and just whether my arguments make sense to you. We're all in this together!

I will be back at 3 pm ET to answer your questions, ask me anything!

Here are some of my recent papers:

Patiency Is Not a Virtue: The Design of Intelligent Systems and Systems of Ethics

Of, For, and By the People: The Legal Lacuna of Synthetic Persons

Semantics derived automatically from language corpora contain human biases. Open access version: authors' final copy of both the main article and the supplement.

The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence: Forecasting, Prevention, and Mitigation

">I'm Joanna Bryson, a Professor in Artificial (and Natural) Intelligence at the University of Bath. I’d love to talk about AI regulation and law, how we treat AI and the companies and people who make it, why humans need to keep being the responsible agents, and anything else - AMA!

No comments: