28 February, 2017

Hi Reddit! I am Andrew Zydney, a professor of chemical engineering at The Pennsylvania State University. Ask me anything about artificial kidneys!


See the source article by following the link below:

ACS AMA

Hello Reddit! My name is Andrew Zydney, and I am currently Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University. I also serve as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Membrane Science and I am on the Board of Directors of the North American Membrane Society. I am very much looking forward to my first time participating in Reddit.

Just to provide some background, I obtained my B.S. from Yale in 1980 and a PhD from MIT in 1985, both in Chemical Engineering. I then joined the faculty at the University of Delaware in 1985 before moving to Penn State in 2002. I served as Head of the Chemical Engineering Department here at Penn State from 2004-2014; I am very much enjoying being back as a “regular faculty member” since stepping down as Department Head.

My research interests are in membrane science and technology, with a particular focus on the application of membranes in both bioprocessing (e.g., for the purification of biopharmaceuticals) and biomedicine. The latter has included extensive work on the use of membranes in the artificial kidney, commonly referred to as hemodialysis, as well as the possibility of developing an implantable bioartificial kidney. Some of our work on the implantable artificial kidney is available in the online paper http://ift.tt/2m7RD8w.

Note that I am not a medical doctor – I am a chemical engineer who is particularly interested in the development of membrane-based technologies that can have a significant impact in the treatment of disease. I do collaborate with clinicians, and also with medical technology companies, on a regular basis, both as a consultant and on research projects.

Please don’t hesitate to ask me anything about some of the research I’ve described above or more generally about hemodialysis and the artificial kidney. I look forward to our conversation!

I’ll be back at 12 noon ET (9 am PT, 5pm UTC) to answer specific questions.

">Hi Reddit! I am Andrew Zydney, a professor of chemical engineering at The Pennsylvania State University. Ask me anything about artificial kidneys!

No comments: