17 February, 2017

AAAS 2017 Annual Meeting AMA Series: Hi, we’re Laura Acevedo and Hilal Lashuel; we are foreign-born scientists who are concerned about the harmful effects of the U.S. immigration policy on international science collaborations. AUA!


See the source article by following the link below:

Science has always been an international pursuit and we have all benefitted from strong international institutions through which scientists from different countries can work together, researching both fundamental questions of science, as well as immediate pressing concerns.

Hi, I’m Laura, and I am currently attending the AAAS Annual Meeting, where I’m speaking on a panel entitled “Science Communication Between Scientists, Policymakers, and the Public” I emphasize the importance of communication between scientists, policymakers, and the public in advancing health security. As an Advisory Board member to Cultures Magazine, I will discuss my work as a young scientist in Paraguay and how it helps drive the magazine’s mission to “explore the intersection of science, policy, and global challenges by bringing diverse voices to a common platform.”

Hello! I am Hilal and I recently wrote "The America I believe in" published yesterday in Science Magazine. In that piece I shared that I chose to cancel my trip to attend the AAAS Annual Meeting in Boston because of President Donald Trump's executive order banning people of certain nationalities from entering the United States. I am a US citizen, born in Yemen, and now working in Switzerland. I believe that science today is a global endeavor. I hope we can find ways to engage and support those affected by the current limits placed on international collaboration, and bring the scientific community together, not put up more barriers.

We’re here to answer your questions about the mechanisms through which international collaboration is achieved; the benefits—both scientific and diplomatic—of international collaboration in the any field; and how our own specific research has benefited from the international make-up of our research team. Ask us anything!

Laura Acevedo has a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science and Technology. She briefly worked at a dairy company as microbiology analyst and then moved to the water industry as Laboratory Chair Analyst.

Dr. Hilal Lashuel is an Associate Professor in Neuroscience in the Brain Mind Institute, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne.

">AAAS 2017 Annual Meeting AMA Series: Hi, we’re Laura Acevedo and Hilal Lashuel; we are foreign-born scientists who are concerned about the harmful effects of the U.S. immigration policy on international science collaborations. AUA!

No comments: