
Hi Reddit!
I’m Michael Keefer, M.D., professor of Medicine, Infectious Diseases at the University of Rochester Medical Center. For the past 25 years I’ve directed HIV vaccine clinical trials at the University of Rochester's HIV Vaccine Trials Unit, also known as the Rochester Victory Alliance. We’re one of 12 NIH-sponsored sites conducting this research in the U.S. Our latest HIV vaccine trial is testing an experimental antibody against HIV. Traditionally, people get a vaccine and researchers wait to see if they make effective antibodies–proteins produced by our immune system to fight infections–in response to the vaccine. In this study, we’re skipping that step and giving people the antibody directly. We’re also conducting several other studies with more traditional types of vaccines and would be happy to let you know how all of this fits into the big picture of ending AIDS in our lifetime.
I’m James Kobie, Ph.D., assistant professor of Medicine, Infectious Diseases at the University of Rochester Medical Center. I’m testing an HIV vaccine approach that focuses on B cells, which are immune cells that produce antibodies. I’m also working with Dr. Keefer and the Rochester Victory Alliance to analyze blood samples from participants in HIV vaccine trials. I want to know how different vaccines stimulate the production of protective antibodies at the points where HIV enters the body. Eliminating the virus where it first comes in contact with the body is critical to the development of an effective vaccine, and we’re hopeful that this research will help us understand why some HIV vaccines are partially effective while others are not.
We’re here to answer questions about HIV vaccines, including: Why has it proven so difficult to develop a safe and effective HIV vaccine? What progress have we made and how close are we to developing an effective vaccine? What vaccine strategy is the most promising? Do you see a future where HIV is no longer infecting millions of people around the world?
We will be back at 2 pm ET to answer your questions, Ask us anything!
No comments:
Post a Comment